Every donation made to PCS helps us to preserve the nation’s unique natural environment for present and future generations.
Providing Excellent Value for your Dollar
The Palau Conservation Society provides value in the following three areas:
Assisting the Government and Communities of Palau to ensure preservation of Palau’s Natural Heritage, PCS:
- Focuses on long-term conservation goals and programs for six of the national conservation targets based on an assessment of PCS’s ability to affect positive change. It will work to protect and enhance these conservation targets, often leveraging its internal capacity and resources by partnering with other organizations in Palau and abroad.
- Creates jobs for and builds capacity of the Palauan society. PCS currently employees 17 employees, 15 of which are Palauan. Over the years, many PCS employees have gone on to positions of leadership in Palau, including individuals such a Ilebrang Olkeriil who is now Koror State’s Director of Conservation and Law Enforcement and Umiich Sengebau who serves as the Deputy Director for The Nature Conservancy’s Micronesia Program.
- Facilitates linkages between communities and other partners. PCS communicates community interests and need to national, regional, and global partners, and brings tools and opportunities and to communities.
Partner Organizations and Institutions
Providing partner organizations and institutions with service and support to achieve their objectives, PCS:
- Has support from and partnerships with government and other organizations. PCS leverages its internal capacity and resources by partnering with government, nonprofits, and for-profits to best work towards realization of its mission.
- Was the first Small Island Partner in the Pacific to reach full Partnership Status in the BirdLife International federation of nongovernmental organizations. PCS’s stability and ability to impact positive conservation benefits across the Pacific helps it meet the criteria of this global organization. PCS leverages support from BirdLife International to meet national and global biodiversity objectives.
Conservation Donors and Investors
Providing foreign conservation donors and investors with an opportunity to contribute to the conservation of Palau and protection of its national heritage, PCS:
- Engages in a range of programs that appeal to conservation donors and investors. PCS takes a full ecosystem approaches which allows them to attract and act on donor interest on a wide range of issues.
- Has a consistent track record with assisting communities in conservation efforts. PCS has provided assistance for and developed the capacity of communities across Palau. Traditional and elected leaders at the state level often turn to PCS first when they have environmental concerns or requests.
- PCS serves as the face of the community. PCS is a community- and membership-based organization. We reflect the needs and concerns of Palau’s communities.